07 May 2010

Strawberry Mango Jam



You all may have noticed that we are big fans of strawberries around here. Alabama strawberries are in (almost as good as Louisiana strawberries) and I ordered an extra gallon to come in this week's veggie box. One of the reasons was that I wanted to make a jam with strawberries and mangoes. Abbey and I had gotten fresh mango spears at Costco. I had a recipe for Mango Raspberry Jam, so I started with that and adapted it for using strawberries.

It is just gorgeous! The colour is beautiful and sparkles like jewels. All seven jars have made their tell-tale POP to let me know they are sealed.

My canning supplies are all at the farm and so I improvised. Heated water for BWB in an 8 qt stockpot and put a folded tea towel in the bottom. I can process four half-pint jars at a time this way. Of course, I had to go buy some jars, lids and Sure-Jell, too. But it all worked out just fine.

Alabama strawberries:


Mango wedges:


Fruit and Sure-Jell in Staub pot:


Fruit boiled and sugar added:


Ready to skim foam:


Jars processed and sealed:


I wound up with about half a cup left after filling the seven jars, so I just put it in a jar in the refrigerator. Can't wait to have some on toast in the morning! The little taste I had just whetted my appetite for more.


Strawberry Mango Jam

3 cups cubed mango
2 cups quartered strawberries
2 Tbsp bottled lemon juice
1 pkg powdered pectin
5½ cups sugar

Place mangos and strawberries in food processor and pulse till finely chopped. Place in large saucepan with lemon juice and powdered pectin. Bring slowly to boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Return to boil. Boil hard 1 minute stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and skim foam. Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Wipe rim and top with two piece lids. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Makes 7 half pint jars

namasté,
Bookmark and Share

No comments: